Did someone say blackberries? And jalapenos? Together?
Count me in!
I was so head over heels with a blackberry jalapeno jam that my mom made last year, that I couldn’t stop imagining various ways to use it. Since cake used to be my thang, my mind went there first. These little babies were born soon after.
Don’t knock it till you try it, trust me!
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix your fave box or from-scratch white/vanilla cake batter. Pour into cupcake liners, filling 2/3 of the way full.
Until I convince my mom to sell her jams by the case-full, you can find yours at specialty hot sauce stores, many outlet malls, or at any arts festival across America.
-You will need two jars of jam for this particular recipe-
Heat half of the jam up a bit, but don’t totally liquidate it. I microwave mine at 20 second intervals until it’s just right.
Spoon a small amount (seriously, just guesstimate here), and then swirl it into the batter carefully with a knife or toothpick.
Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out somewhat clean. (cupcakes with jam will leave more residue, even when fully baked)
While the cupcakes are baking, lay pickled jalapenos out on waxed paper. One at a time, cover in granulated sugar, and place back onto paper to dry. I typically sprinkle a bit more sugar over all of the peppers after dipping. These will need to dry for a couple of hours.
Once your cupcakes have cooled for about ten to fifteen minutes, take an apple corer (or even just a knife), and remove a small portion of the center of the cupcake. Toss the middle portions into a bowl and nibble on them as you work… you will eat every. single. crumb. This is my fam’s fave part!
Next, take the other half of the jam and spoon it into a ziplock bag. Snip a small opening in the corner of the bag, and squeeze the jam into the hole of each cupcake, filling just under the top of the cupcake.
I don’t have a pic of this step; sorry!
Set the cupcakes aside and make your blackberry icing (recipe below).
Once you’ve iced your cupcakes (if you haven’t already eaten the entire bowl of icing with a spoon), add the sugared jalapenos to the top of each cupcake.
Voila! Now watch these beauties disappear!
They’re not super spicy, but have just enough kick to keep you coming back for more. Enjoy!
There can be sooooo many variations of these… get creative with it and let me know what you come up with!
— Full list of ingredients —
— Cake —
- 1 white cake mix (or from scratch)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 C. veg oil
- 1/4 C. water
- 1 jar blackberry jalapeno jam (separated; half of jar warmed up)
- 24 sugared jalapenos (see how-to above)
— Icing —
- 1 2lb bag powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 C. boiling water
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (cut into small squares)
- 2 C. Crisco or high quality veg shortening (must be high quality or it won’t work!)
- 1/2 jar blackberry jalapeno jam
— Blackberry Jalapeno Icing Recipe —
*Note: Must have a stand-up mixer with a whisk attachment for this recipe.
- Place powdered sugar in mixing bowl, with whisk attachment running on low speed.
- Add vanilla and salt; continue mixing on low.
- Boil 1 C. water. Add to bowl, scraping down the sides.
- Increase speed to medium and mix for 10 minutes, or until sides of bowl are cool to the touch.
- Add shortening & butter. Mix on low until well combined.
- Increase speed to med/high and mix for 10-13 minutes, or until fluffy and double in size.
- Add jam and mix for another 2-3 minutes, or until well combined. (the color is incredible!)
*Note: Icing can be stored in an airtight container at room temp for up to 12 hrs, and in the refrigerator for up to a week